Healthy Food. Healthy Home. Healthy Life.

healthy food. healthy home. healthy life.

Monday, October 4, 2010

My first blog ever!...and the BEST sugar, wheat and dairy-free pumpkin pie you will find around!


It's officially Fall in Duluth, MN.  (yay!!)  I crave pumpkin pie during the Fall season like mad...I want it all the time, every day! ;)  I massively failed at making a crustless, allergy-free pumpkin pie last week.  Like...BIG TIME FAIL.  It came out like a brick and hardly resembled the beautiful, rich pumpkin-y attributes that any good P-Pie should have. (Let's just say it was "brown"...at best.)

So I set out on a mission to come up with the BEST sugar-free, wheat-free, dairy-free pie EVER!  And I believe I delivered...even Joe, my sugar-wheat-and-dairy-loving boyfriend, has asked for a slice every night so far!  The best part?  We hardly have to feel bad that half the pie is gone in a matter of days, and only split between the two of us - it is made with simple, organic, healthy ingredients.  The kind of yummy goodness that sticks to your ribs and not your behind! :)

This is sure to delight your family and friends this holiday season - you may even fool them into thinking they're eating traditional sugar-laden pie!  Joke's on them... ;)
.......................................................................................................

Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie - with a Healthy Twist

1 wheat-free, sugar-free pie crust (I use Namaste Foods brand "Biscuits, Piecrust & More!" mix)
1  15 oz. can organic pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tsp. organic pumpkin pie spice (or to taste - I like my pie extra flavorful!)
1/2 tsp. organic cinnamon
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1  14 oz. can organic coconut milk (use full-fat variety, not "light")
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1-2 packets stevia powder, to taste (I use NuNaturals NuStevia powder - the least bitter stevia powder I have found yet!)
Preheat oven as directed on your pie crust recipe.  Mix and prebake your pie crust while mixing the pie filling.

Mix pumpkin puree and spices together.  Add coconut milk and eggs slowly, mixing well, to avoid lumps.  Add stevia, to taste - remember, stevia is about 30 times sweeter than sugar and you don't need much.  Add stevia in small amounts, about half a packet at a time, taste-testing the batter until it is at the level of sweetness you prefer! (avoid over-sweetening as it will result in a bitter taste)

Pour mixture into pre-baked pie crust.  Reset oven to 425º F and bake for 20 minutes, then reduce temp to 350º F for an additional 50-60 minutes.  Continue cooking for longer if pie is not set in the middle (you should see that nice golden color and the "break" around the edge of the pie and in the center).

Cool thoroughly on a wire rack, then refrigerate overnight.  I prefer my pumpkin pie cold (with extra whipped cream!) and an overnight in the fridge really helped set the pie and bring all the delicious flavors together!

Enjoy - and Happy Fall from the Wholesome Hippie :)

5 comments:

  1. Anne, this sounds delicious! I love that you have found a great pie recipe that looks like it's traditional counterpart. I would love to try that pie. I might have to make it! (I hope I can find the ingredients). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your bio as "Anti-CANADA Diet." I had to read it several times before I realized what it really said. :)

    I was super confused for almost a whole minute. "Like, anti any food that comes from Canada??"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget - I'm sure I will see you at Thanksgiving and I will bring pie! :)

    Sara - HA! That is awesome. And yes, Canadian products are offensive. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANNE!!!! Very wholesome and adorable blog. I look forward to reading more fun recipes. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. didn't know you have succeeded!! am so happy for you and hope to have a slice SOON!! did you whip the coconut cream for the whipped cream? yummy!!

    ReplyDelete